MENU BUY YOUR TICKET HOME TICKETS EVENTS SCHEDULE INSTAGRAM FACEBOOK TWITTER
EN
21°C
69°F
×
EN
1 Home
4 Events

ABOUT US

Our History

One of the most beautiful attractions in Rio de Janeiro and one of the most famous in Brazil. Our mission is to take people to an enchantment, fun and entertainment journey – providing happy and unforgettable experiences as well as valuing Brazilian culture. We constantly invest in safety, comfort and innovative technologies.

Our locations constitute natural, geological, historical, and touristic landmarks in the city of Rio de Janeiro. As a natural landmark, it reminds us of our reference to the sailors who come to Guanabara Bay. As a geological landmark, it reminds us of our geological site precisely dating the history of our planet. We also talk about historical landmark because on March 1, 1565, Estácio de Sá founded the City of São Sebastião in Rio de Janeiro literally on its feet. And, finally, touristic landmark because the Cable Car opened on Sugarloaf projected Brazil’s name worldwide. It has been the first cable car installed in Brazil and the third in the world.


Learn more about our history


1909

Foundation by Brazilian engineer Augusto Ferreira Ramos (Manoel Galvão, industrialist and Commander Fredolino Cardoso)

1909

Augusto Ramos (founder), Engineer

1912

Sugarloaf Cable Car was opened (First itinerary – Praia Vermelha/Morro da Urca)

1913

Opening of the second route (Morro da Urca/ Pão de Açúcar)

1934

Carlos Pinto Monteiro took over the company.

1962

The engineer Cristóvão Leite de Castro became the President of the company

1972

Sugarloaf Cable Car - Second Generation

1993

Maria Ercília Leite de Castro (Architect - company’s General Director)

2008

Sugarloaf Cable Car - Third Generation. New cabins in modern design, ventilation system and smoked anti-glare glass windows with a new command and power digital systems.

2010

Opening of Espaço Cocuruto, Via Verde, and Espaço Baia de Guanabara

2014

Inauguração do Mirante Maria Ercília

2014

Opening of Slope Giuseppe Pellegrini

2016

Revitalization and modernization for Sugarloaf



Curiosities

As any landmark, Sugarloaf also has its stories and curious facts. Some say that Sugarloaf is the foot of a resting giant and others prefer to believe that, amongst many legends, it is in fact the silhouette of an old man known as the Guardian of the Rock.

The origin of the name (Sugarloaf, Pão de Açúcar in Portuguese) also has different versions. According to historian Vieira Fazenda, the Portuguese people named the hill as such because it resembles a geological site as a wooden or metal form similar to the way sugar cubes were stored and transported to Europe.

Do you want to learn more about the legends and stories of Sugarloaf, Urca and the city of Rio de Janeiro? Schedule our historic city tour and discover our beauty.