Banner da página principal

Building of the second line

The same operation was used to launch the cables and place the cable car on the second section of the ride, from Morro da Urca to the Sugarloaf mountain. This second part is 750 meters long and 396 meters high, and was opened to the public on January 18, 1913, completing the cable path up to the summit of the Sugarloaf.
The third portion of the ride, from Morro da Urca to Morro da Babilônia was never built given that the Brazilian Army considered it a priority to occupy that mountain.
Augusto Ramos ran the Sugarloaf Company from 1909 to 1934. He as replaced by banker and factory-owner Mr. Carlos Pinto Monteiro, who faced countless drawbacks during his 28-year management. World War II significantly impacted the number of tourists visiting the Sugarloaf in the years between 1939 and 1945. Maintenance and conservation of the old-fashioned facilities of the aerial tramway system was very costly and required daily trips.
The cables were damaged during the communist uprising in 1935 (the Intentona Comunista) resulting from the battles fought between revolutionary soldiers entrenched in the 3rd Infantry Regiment – located at the base of Morro da Urca – and the legalist troops, positioned on Avenida Pasteur. This led to an interruption of the system’s operations for the time required for importing new cables from Europe.
Mr. Monteiro finally managed to turn the company around, both financially and economically, before he handed it over to his successor, Cristóvão Leite de Castro, in 1962. Castro was Director-President until 1999.

Park Services

View all

Enter your email to receive news.